Saturday, February 8, 2014

Remembering the small things - Blackberry Hunting


 This afternoon what started out as a common whinge in our house "I'm booorrred!" resulted in blackberry hunting.
Our neighbour had mentioned a couple of weeks ago we were welcome to pick his brambles at the bottom of his land.

There was a bit of convincing and assurance needed, as one such child was a bit unsure of the large ram

 Here he is sussing out the situation
 

And the ram? he couldn't have cared less ( he's actually ours...on loan )
 

Nevertheless walking the boundary line and making their way into the long grass, I chuckled as I watched on.


Little J sampling a whole lot more than picking, and Mr B straight to business....he's a doer!


And the end result 
 

Slim pickings for our planned pie.  
I had it on good authority that most of them passed a certain boys lips rather than the bucket! hehe
So off they went down our land this time, to our small patch, but this time because Mr B tripped, all their efforts fell into a large fresh cowpat!! 

Luckily I always keep frozen berries in the freezer.  
So that combined with our whole entire apple harvest this year  
( a whole 3 apples! ) we had enough to make a crumble





This is the childhood I've dreamt for our kids for such a long time, and it's small moments like this that I want to hold onto and remember for years to come, hopefully they will too!

Ending our meal tonight with my crochet on my lap and a delicious hot crumble was a nice distraction :)

6 comments:

Schulz Family said...Best Blogger Tips

yummy. Blackberries are a long way off being ripe down here in the south. The summer has been cool and I would say we are a good month away. Lucky you and the kids

Susan C. said...Best Blogger Tips

I used to pick wild blackberries too back in the olden times....(hehehe) yum yum, free food.
Sadly now they are declared a noxious weed in Australia and are sprayed regularily....so sad. Glad to see they still exist in small patches to be enjoyed in your neck of the world. Yes good childhood times indeed. :-)

Holly May B said...Best Blogger Tips

YUM! My mouth is watering.

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

Looks yum - and these are the things that memories are made of! So awesome that you are getting to make these visions and dreams come true x

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

sounds like an awesome way to beat off the boredom! and the pie looks yummy too!

Catching the Magic said...Best Blogger Tips

Wonderful result! I used to loved picking blackberries as a girl in England every autumn. I miss that. Lovely photos x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...